Home

Monday, June 7, 2010

Pepita Butter



Yesterday was a busy wonderful day. I started a new batch of Kombucha (more posting on that later), some sprouts, and after seeing my jar of almond butter nearly empty, I decided to try my hand at making my own.
I hardly have any almonds in my pantry right now but there is an abundance of raw pepitas, or Mexican pumpkin seeds. For the first time in five years of owning it, I put the blank plate on my champion juicer and had at it! A handful of seeds, then a little olive oil, smoosh! Repeat. When I had put in about 3 cups or so, I added a little salt and stevia, then ran the pepita butter through the juicer once more for a smoother texture. I ate a spoonful of the warm pepita butter to make sure it was good and it certainly was!
Into the fridge it went and this morning I pulled some out to smear on an apple. It is even better now that it had a chance to sit. So much easier than I thought it would be-I am definitely going to start making my own nut and seed butters. You can't beat saving money, a trip to the grocery store and the freshness and quality of making your own.
All you need is a juicer with a blank plate insert (used instead of the usual screen) or food processor, 1-4 cups seeds or nuts of your choice, good quality cold pressed (or virgin) oil (I used evoo) and a container that seals. Alternating between 1/4-1/2 cup seeds or nuts and 1 teaspoon of oil at a time, grinding to your desired consistency. If needed, salt or sweeten to your liking and enjoy!
~Rose

1 comment:

  1. I just got a new Cuisinart food processor for Christmas and I'll be trying my hand at making pepita butter today. I wonder if I could use extra virgin coconut oil? I'm going to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete